Thursday 18 October 2007

Hayle day trippin' and bar-tails

Hayle Estuary 18th October 2007

Arrived at 11.30ish by being dropped off at the Quay pub by my lovely lady Tracee. I made my way to the viewpoint over the Saltings (or the main estuary to those in the know). Wigeon, Teal, Canada Geese, Greylag, Lapwings, Little Egrets, Herons, Oyster catcher, Black Headed Gulls, Herrings, Curlews and Redshank all waved at me when I arrived. I stayed for a few minutes before heading over to Ryan's Field...

When I arrived I was accosted by Shelia (of Chichester Interest Holidays & Accommodation) who wished to know if the Spoonbill was about. Well, unfortunately it wasn't.
We had a little natter, mostly about either A. Minerals or B. Twitchers being a boring bunch of...

I parked my rear down in the hide and looked out, but other than a Heron, Curlew, Kingfishers, Dunnocks, Robins, Grey Wagtails, Robins, Pied Wagtails, a solitary med gull who made a brief appearance, a Herring Gull, a Littlest Egret, another Robin and a few pints of water, nothing was going on.

By this time I became hungry, having not eaten anything since 6am, so I devoured a packet of mints and continued the epic journey into the unknown (called Hayle).

I made my way to Carnsew pool and headed around the back. A large group of Redshanks wandered around, so too did some Golden Plovers, but it was rather quiet. Rock Pipits flew this way and that, bleeping at me ever so often and I remember seeing some twitchers on the far bank which made me hope they hadn't pointed their bins at me as I hadn't been breathing in.

I wandered back to Ryan's Field and saw nothing else of any interest, so I decided to run (which was really a rather pathetic walk) back to Carnsew pool. I plodded along and came across three Bar-tailed Godwits and a Magpie. So I headed over to Copperhouse Creek and saw nothing new there. So, I headed to the co-op and bought a drink, newspaper and packet of crisps.
I sat on the benches overlooking the Creek, reading the paper and occasionally lifting up my bins to find it was only a Curlew.

The end.

2 comments:

Phillip Dews said...

Your like me there, I don't like Twitchers as well! Take it you have read Bill Oddies little black birdbook then?

Sounds like a good days Birding and a pint!

Regards
Phillip - BirdbookAdmin

Phillip Dews said...

Your like me there, I don't like Twitchers as well! Take it you have read Bill Oddies little black birdbook then?

Sounds like a good days Birding and a pint!

Regards
Phillip - BirdbookAdmin